Security is the single most essential element for a sound sleep at night. When you know you are safe, your mind doesn’t keep you awake with constant thoughts about criminals doing any harm to you or your loved ones. There have been countless innovations in the history of mankind, which ensure that for the most part, the average man today can safely feel secure at home.
But cutting-edge technology and rampant innovations have ensured that home security these days is as much about comfort and convenience, as it is for its primary utility – the safety of its owner.
Listed here are the top 5 innovations in home security throughout the history of time
1. In ancient history, the first and most notable innovation was the shift from knotted ropes to a heavy, wooden bar. While ropes were the obvious solution to citizens of ancient Greece at the time of Alexander, it was soon realized that they do little when intruders with sharp knives, swords, or even sharp stones strike to enter your home forcefully. A wooden or iron bar was the perfect solution to block and hold the door from the inside, when intruders tried to force their way in. The invention of the iron bar lock also meant the birth of the locksmith, people who create and repair locks professionally.
2. The doorbell was another great innovation for home security, it alerted you to the presence of other people who wished to enter your house. The first doorbells took the form of actual bells or cans hung on doors, with the help of strings. These made a very loud sound every time the door was opened or closed. What we see today as doorbells was the outcome of a little bit of genius that happened when a bored man at a police station tied together a pair of wires to the stations alarm panel via the telephone lines. This concept was improvised to result in what we refer to as door-bells today.
3. Of more recent, security cameras have helped many a family breathe a sigh of relief and sleep peacefully in their homes. Initially used only by government and private security organizations, the internet and technological advancements of late have ensured that this device is no longer an unaffordable piece of luxury for the average John Doe’s family.
4. Another recent addition to the field of home security was the invention of motion detectors. The initial prototypes of this ingenious device used sound waves in the environment to detect any movements. However, the flip side was that sound made by household items, such as a simple mixer-grinder, could set it off. This device ended up creating more false alarms, than for what it was meant. The motion sensors of today, have been updated with infrared technology, which use sensors to detect the presence of a human body’s heat signature.
5. The most recent, and perhaps the most rapidly becoming popular innovation in the history of home security is that of the digital lock. This has become the one-stop affordable security solution that every locksmith swears by. Right from biometrics like retina, fingerprint and voice scans, to simple key cards and remotes, digital locks not only ensure security, but are perfect for millennials in that they offer much ease and convenience. All good ones come with warranty, and for other repairs, a locksmith Toronto is simply a call away.